We are adding a few electric bits to the flying bridge, each of which demands its own inventory of copper and insulation. The result is a busy area under the deck, and wiring ducts to the flying bridge are now very full. Here Cory McMahon is waiting for one of the crew up top to pull another cable.
Cory has made a couple of temporary joints for testing with these 3M telephone industry connectors. Press the wires together within the fitting, and they are automatically sealed with silicone, after which they live happily underground–at least that is the theory. In our case, with testing completed we have soldered the connections, and then placed heat shrink over the joints.
You will no doubt recall Eric the Terrible, he of the fairing hammer working on our swim step extension last fall. Eric has mellowed and here he and another Bausch American top hand are working on a final version of the recently prototyped rowing dinghy support rack.
Cory has made up a Mark III underwater exhaust interceptor, version 3.1 and 3.2.
These have similar shapes, except that 3.1 has hard edges and 3.2 softened corners. They are shaped in foam which has been glued to a piece of fiberglass laminate, then covered with two layers of cloth soaked in epoxy. We think we are getting close. By Mark IV we should be ready to do a permanent interceptor.
Jeff is the Jarrette Bay manager, and has been kind enough to arrange for us to be launched on Saturday. Since the crew is off, we were placed in the slings Friday afternoon, and Jeff has volunteered to drive. He has indicated this is his first time driving a Travel Lift. Fair enough, as it is our first time driving a boat.
Why it is a good idea to inspect impellers after storage – we did not. After launching, while hanging in the slings, we always burp the packing glands, check the bilge for leaks in the engine room, and then start the engines. One of the disadvantages of underwater exhausts is that you cannot see water flow to check on the cooling water system. But we have clear (for now) feed lines and they showed flow. The water flow alarm on the port engine was sounding, but we assumed it was stuck. Then we noticed the engine temperature climbing and checked various items with the remote temperature sensing gun. The port engine raw water pump was very hot, so we anchored, pulled the port engine pump cover, and found the above. Next time we’ll listen to what the alarm is saying!
Being late on Saturday night and with a clean bunk in an organized interior beckoning, we shall leave the results of our first short run for a new post. Let us just say for now we are not disappointed.