Please excuse my ignorance; but in your article about full batten mainsail, what the heck is UHMW?

Tom – UHMW = ultra high molecular weight (plastic). You can get it from McMaster Carr and some sail supply companies. – Steve

Posted by Steve Dashew  (November 30, 1999)

2 Responses to “UHMW”

  1. Terence Melvin Says:

    While fine for the U.S. where McMC is ubiquitous the actual material designation would be helpful for we poor souls in the outer darkness!

    My best guesses are HDPE(high density polyethylene) or perhaps polypropylene?

  2. Steve Dashew Says:

    What you have is the correct definition. But I am not sure if the high density is required ahead of the PE.